EEC Sponsors Adelante Ninos - Onward...Upward...To Higher Education
May 6, 2004
(Torrington, WY) The public is invited to attend the EWC-sponsored program "Adelante Ninos - Onward...Upward...To Higher Education." This program, scheduled for Wednesday, May 12, 2004, 9:00 a.m.-1:15 p.m., at the Torrington campus, seeks to increase the expectation of elementary-aged children for college enrollment and to familiarize these students with college life. The program also introduces a philosophy of "expected attendance" into the early school years of area youth.
Program Coordinator Anne Gardetto of EWC states, "Across the country, institutions of higher education are realizing the importance of reaching down not only to the high school level, but also to the middle school and elementary level in encouraging, motivating, and inciting higher educational goals/dreams of America's children. This is deemed essential particularly for those children who may perceive that college is "out-of-reach" for them financially, socially, and emotionally.
Program activities for participating elementary students will include visits to designed academic stations on campus which illustrate the avenues of study and potential career areas available to those individuals who obtain a degree. While the emphasis of the program will be the exposure to a serious academic environment, the program itself will combine enjoyable activities for 5th grade level students with the adventure of a field trip to a different place. Designed academic stations feature some of the following topics:
- Fun with Chemistry: Careers in Science
- Building Bridges: Adventures in Engineering
- Wild Kingdom: Adventures in Animal Science
- It's Great to Be Bilingual
- Celebrating Literature: Capturing the Joy of Reading Through Story Telling
This program also features a second track featuring parent educational sessions. Topics include:
- The Importance of Parent Engagement in School and its Effect in Bolstering Student Achievement
- Effective Relationships with Children: How to talk to Your Child
- Expect Success: Schools and Parents Working Together
- College Now? What You Can Do Now to Prepare Your Child for college or the Early Bird Gets the Worm
The First General Session begins at 9:00 a.m. in the EWC Fine Arts Auditorium featuring Keynote Speaker Dr. Marty Ramirez, University of Nebraska. His address is entitled "The Road to Success: How Do We Start?"
For more information or to register for this program, please call Anne Gardetto, 307.532.8328.